In recent days, the Atlanta Braves have stirred up some controversy regarding the unveiling of a new/old logo for their batting practice attire. The logo, featuring a screaming Indian, was once used by the Atlanta Braves as their main logo. It was retired several years ago, and the Braves current logo features a red and yellow tomahawk.
Many people see the screaming Indian as being insensitive to the American Indian. I guess I can see that point. I mean, it is kind of the same as putting a picture of a white guy on a team name the Crackers. Or picture of a black guy on a team named the Jazz.
Having grown up in Atlanta, I think it is worth mentioning that the Braves have always been very conscious of furthering the image of their mascot. When I was a kid in elementary school had an on-field mascot named Cheif Noc-a Homa. This mascot was an actual member of the American Indian community who, before each game, would come out and do a war dance at the pitching mound and pray to the gods for when. He would then retire to a teepee in the outfield stands, where he would interact with the crowd and celebrate in the event the Braves had a home run.
This was all well and fine, and kind of fun in a traditional sort of way. But my biggest memory of the chief was when he came to visit our school. I remember how we were all sitting on the floor, and the chief burst into the room with a mighty yell. It actually scared me half to death. I was only about nine or 10 years old at the time.
Back then, the chief was kind of an icon in the city of Atlanta. He was very popular with the children. He made a big impression on all of us at Braves games, because to a small child he was sort of a cartoon character and superhero all rolled into one.
But when he came to visit us at school that day, after is tremendous entrance, the chief stood in front of the class and gave a long, well-prepared lecture about the American Indian. As I was very young, I don't remember exactly what he said. But what I do remember about that day, is that this young impressionable boy now wanted to learn more about the American Indian. And that's exactly what I did.
Their professional sports teams like the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins were often frowned upon for using a Native American mascot. Sure, I can absolutely see where any Native American could be offended in some way by the use of these mascots. However, in every day life in small town in rural America, these professional sports mascots are often the only exposure we get to the history of the Native American in the United States.
The question is, should these professional sports teams and amateur sports teams remove their mascots and nicknames, would the Native American be forgotten? Again, I can see where a Native American could take offense to how their heritage is being portrayed. But when you look into the stands and you see the supporters of the team, at the very least the heritage, by some, is being not only remembered but honored.
Any Content material offence , contact me freely on kuberbshiva06@gmail.com.. this content rewrites or copied from Top level web-source - [http://goo.gl/q5Y69],
Thank you
please review me ::
-----
Prabhakar [ vampseo]
Indian SEO blogger
SEO & Rewriter ( Content)
Kuberbshiva06@gmail.com
I kind of see your point. Perhaps if it wasn't for the sports mascots, the Native American would not be a part of our everyday lives as it is. Sure, most people don't realize that the Native American symbolisms is even out there, but it is what it is.
ReplyDelete